I have spent my professional career building and growing companies, non-profits, and political campaigns.
I directed the fundraising and investor relations department for Acumen Fund, a venture fund which focuses on delivering goods and services to people in developing countries. My department raised over $8 million in one calendar year. I helped launch and create the success of Howard Dean’s breakthrough internet campaign and subsequent 50 state strategy, which paved the way for President Obama’s success.
Most recently I headed the Investor Relations for IDE - International Development Enterprises, which uses market-based approaches to create income opportunities for rural poor farmers. IDE has helped 19 million people bring themselves out of poverty.
I’m an alumna of Brown University, which inspired me to make a difference in the world.
Here are some accomplishments of note:
2002 & 2003: I started and ran a consumer products company and grew distribution from zero to six hundred stores in one year.
2003 & early 2004: During the lead up to the Iraq war, I was inspired to join Gov. Howard Dean‘s campaign for the Presidency. I was appointed as the New York State Deputy Campaign Director/Field Operations & Special Events.
Some highlights include:
Public Relations & Event Marketing / Management
- Helped organize Vice President Al Gore’s endorsement press conference at the National Black Theater in Harlem.
- Led a 150 person event staff and coordinated all aspects, including PR, for a 10,000 person rally in Bryant Park. The rally achieved broad placement with all the major national news outlets.
- Organized a major civil rights-focused press conference with the Governor at Cooper Union that was covered by all the major broadcast and cable networks.
Fundraising / Online Community Development
- Helped develop content for the Dean for America blog and subsequently raised funds from the online community. The Dean for America online efforts made political fundraising history.
- Coordinated and marketed a 1200+-person fundraiser, which raised $75,000.
- Coordinated and marketed a 1000+-person fundraiser that showcased major celebrities including Al Franken, Janeane Garofalo, Whoopi Goldberg, Gloria Gaynor, and Phoebe Snow. The event raised more than $100,000.
- Managed logistics for nine fundraising events in one day with a total attendance of 3000+.
2004 & 2005: Joined Acumen Fund as Director of Investor Relations/ Fundraising. Acumen Fund is a global non-profit venture fund using entrepreneurial approaches to solve the problems of global poverty. Key accomplishments include:
Fundraising & Relations
- Reported to CEO and directed the fundraising and investor relations department. Raised over $8 million philanthropic dollars in one calendar year, increasing external fundraising volumes by over 100%.
- Created and launched fundraising campaigns working with high net worth individuals interested in social returns in addition to financial returns.
- Worked with investors/donors at the highest levels of society internationally.
- Engaged current and prospective investors/donors by utilizing a constant flow of communication and matching of skills, contacts, and ideas for growth.
- Worked with investment managers of Water, Health & Housing Portfolios and Marketing to publish an annual Investment Report to high net worth investors/donors.
Retail Fundraising / Online Community Growth and Development
- Collaborated with investor and partner Seth Godin, a prominent online marketer and author, to launch and refine email fundraising campaigns.
- Worked with marketing department to distribute “Friends of Acumen” quarterly email newsletter, summarizing projects and the growth of Acumen Fund.
- Encouraged CEO Jacqueline Novogratz to begin journaling her fascinating and impactful international project visits. Worked with marketing department to publish and distribute the journals to investors/donors and prospects.
Event Marketing & Management
- Organized salon-style investor education and fundraising events.
- Helped organize the Annual Investor International Trip which highlights and navigates different countries and projects for two weeks each year.
- Organized the Annual Investor Gathering, a 3 day on-site event for high net worth investors/donors including presentations and updates on projects, interactive sessions, and inviting feedback and brainstorming.
- Began exploring the development of an Acumen Fund blog to grow the community and encourage interaction and learning at a detailed and intellectual level. Currently Acumen Fund has a thriving online community as a result of these launch efforts in 2004/2005.
2005 -2009: Co-founded mShopper where I held the position of VP Business Development & Sales. Some highlights:
- Created the Giving Back segment of the mShopper application – screened charities and created several ‘buckets’ of giving which the shoppers could choose prior to checking out in the mobile shopping cart.
- Personally raised funds from private investors.
- Helped create business model, pitch to investors, and investor update presentations.
- Helped negotiate and launch key partnerships with Verizon, Sprint, ATT/Cingular, and Cellular South, providing approximately 200 million subscribers with access to mShopper through their WAP decks.
- Established publishing relationships with leading affiliate marketing networks such as Commission Junction, Google Affiliate Network (formerly Doubleclick Performics), and Linkshare/ Rakuten. These networks help manage relationships with retailers by calculating and distributing content, and commission earned by products sold on mShopper.
Retailer/ Merchant Sales
- Spearhead efforts to establish relationships with online merchants and national retailers.
- Managed the onboarding of over 120 retailers including Buy.com, TigerDirect.com, Apple, GAP, Banana Republic, Target, etc.
iDE, Director of Investor Relations